Our History

 

The Acorn Ridge Baptist Church had its beginning around 1818-1820 when it was organized as the Mechanics Hill Baptist Church and was located where the Woodmen of the World Hall now stands in Robbins. David Kennedy was most instrumental in establishing this first Baptist church of Robbins. He gave the land for the church building and a cemetery and bore much of the expenses of the construction. Mechanics Hill Baptist Church was constituted and Elder Shattuck was called as its first Pastor. Conner Dowd was the first clerk and David Kennedy who had been most responsible for its birth was named the first Deacon.

___________________

 

In 1826, Mechanics Hill was represented at the Sandy Creek Baptist associational meeting by A. Milton, J. Dunlap, Alexander Kennedy and represented 15 members. In 1834 the church reported 31 members and 3 baptisms.

___________________

 

In 1885, the congregation by mutual agreement and with no apparent schism divided. Part of the congregation took the old building and Bible given by David Kennedy and located 2 miles southeast of present day Robbins and named their church Flint Hill Baptist Church.

___________________

 

The other part of the congregation took the name and the records of historical Mechanics Hill Baptist Church and moved to the Acorn Ridge School House site located northwest of present day Robbins. The new Mechanics Hill Church was built on the spot where our present parsonage stands. The land was given by Lewis G. Maness and Rev. Jesse Smith was called as the Pastor.

___________________

 

Several years later in the early 1900's, another frame building was erected where the present church building now stands. Lewis G. Maness assisted by John L. Maness, Noah Williams, George Moore and others built this new building. Rev. Jesse Smith retired and Rev. David Sears was called as Pastor.

__________________

 

Mr. W.C. Garner, Sunday School Superintendent for over 20 years led many building improvements, including bricking the building, adding Sunday school rooms and a steeple. Many faithful servants labored for the Lord here and have left their indelible print upon the church and the community. Among them are Brother Levi Maness, Brother Henry Moore, Reverend William F. Hancock, who pastored for 27 years, and Mrs. Ada Williamson who carried the Sunday school to her home in the dead of winter. These and countless others in heaven who are known to God will be rewarded at the Victory Celebration over there.

____________________

 

In 1945, Mechanics Hill Baptist Church officially changed its name to Acorn Ridge Baptist Church. Upon the knowledge of deteriorating biblical principles, the church in 1949 seceded from the Sandy Creek Baptist Association and the Southern Baptist Convention. The Acorn Ridge Baptist Church has remained separate from any denominational ties and is now incorporated under the laws of North Carolina as an unaffiliated Baptist Church.

____________________

 

In 1964, Rev. Edwin Moore became the full time pastor and Acorn Ridge experienced its greatest era of growth and expansion. A parsonage was built, the auditorium was enlarged and an educational wing was added to the church building. Missionaries began to be regularly supported and a strong youth ministry was built. The church paper he began, The Good News, enjoys a wide circulation to this day. In 1975, after twelve years of fruitful ministry, Pastor Moore was called to the Stanleytown Baptist Church in Stanleytown, Virginia.

__________________

 

Pastor Gayle Craven served as the interim pastor for about one year. In 1976 Charles Sparks was called to be the pastor. Under Pastor Sparks' leadership a bus ministry and children's church began. John Williamson became the Associate Pastor in 1977, in charge of youth and children's ministries and music. A new and larger auditorium with more office space and additional classrooms was completed in March of 1978. During Pastor Sparks' tenure, many new missionaries began to be supported by the church.

__________________

 

Pastor Sparks left in 1982 and John Williamson served as acting pastor for one year. The following year he was confirmed as pastor.  Under Pastor Williamson, a weekly radio ministry was begun, The Bread of Life Broadcast, and is now in its 35th year. It is aired on WEEB 990AM in Southern Pines, WKXR 1260AM in Asheboro, and WYTR 88.1FM in Bennett.  He has now been the pastor for almost 40 years.

________________